Friday, October 5, 2007

Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 announced!

It seems like only months ago I was still using Ubuntu Breezy Badger 5.10, which even then was an incredibly useful, simple, and stable OS. So much so that from the moment I installed it, I forsook my Windows partition entirely and it languished in a state of disuse from then on. I still used the files on it though, so I couldn't delete it entirely yet. Then I decided to move to Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS, and it was then that I moved to a bigger hard drive. I copied everything from both my partitions that I wanted onto my new 80gig, and installed 6.06. Being a long-term-support release, it was remarkably stable and polished, and I never had any problems with it of any sort besides taking some time to figure out how to get stuff I wanted to try running, but that just makes it more fun. :)

I currently run Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04, and it is by far the nicest, quickest, and most stable OS I've ever run, and I wouldn't trade it for anything (though I would and do give it away to as many people as are willing to take it.) These days, all the talk is about Gutsy Gibbon 7.10, and thousands or millions of people are trying out the pre-release versions quite successfully from what I've heard, though I don't really put any OS on my system until its the full release. However, I just read today that the next new version of Ubuntu has been announced as 8.04 Hardy Heron, and will be released in April of 2008! This is great news and Ubuntu is advancing rapidly as the biggest and one of the best distributions in Linux history, and putting a face to Linux that people can identify with and see for its benefits, even when they have never seen any Linux before. The announcement was made by Jono Bacon on August 29 this year on his blog at this address.

No comments: